Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Oct-19 4:37 pm

Post subject: Help with Doran
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-10 3:14 pm 

I have not been playing EDH very long (about a month) and my first deck was a pretty classic Zur the Enchanter deck. It drew to much hate, and while I didn't actually play it as 'doucheish' (its a word now) as most people would, it was still to competitive for the place i had been playing at and i got tired of sitting and watching...

anyway...I am going to start my second deck now, and I want to use Doran as my general. I would like to have a pretty straight forward Treefolk tribal deck using Indomitable Ancients, Timber Protector and the like...

I need some help finding some good treefolk/treefolk like (little power/big toughness) cards. both creatures (i want a very creature focused deck) and support cards....can you guys help out?

Current Decks:
Zur the Enchanter---1v1 or multiplayer-douche deck
Doran the Seige Tower---Treefolk Tribal/Sapprolings
Damia, Sage of Stone---Work in progress (needs advice)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Help with Doran
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-10 5:48 pm 

So for Doran, you want a lot of high toughness guys to take advantage of his ability.

Cards that I would run

Silklash Spider large toughness, hoses fliers which is important since trees don't fly. Spidersilk Armor gives all your guys reach and +0/+1.

Belbe's Armor Boosts toughness while lowering defense.

Saplings of Colfenor Treefolk that nets card advantage.

Black Poplar Treefolk Fits theme and regenerates your Treefolk.

Deadwook Treefolk Recursion, twice, on a TREEFOLK STICK (couldn't resist the pun)

Everbark Shaman Awesome, awesome ramp if you're running a fair number of Treefolk.

Fen Deep Summoner Can turn some swamps into more treefolk.

Heartwood Storyteller Interesting political draw. Will benefit you the most if you don't run a lot of non-creature spells.

Leaf Crown Elder Play Treefolk for free!

Magnigoth Treefolk With Doran he's pretty swingy and should have a few types of landwalk.

Nemata, Grove Guardian Treefolk that makes lil' Treefolk (saprolings)

Oakgnarl Warrior Old Ghastbark Redwood Treefolk are just some big bodies.

Orchard Warden Gains life when Treefolk ETB.

Seedguide Ash When he dies, he nets you THREE FORESTS!

Thorntooth Witch Gives any creature -3/-3 when you cast another tree folk.

Timber Protector Absolute must have, makes your Treefolk Indestructible and pumps them.

Treefolk Harbinger 0/3 for G that tutors for a forest or Treefolk, pretty sweet!

Unstoppable Ash Requires a Treefolk sac but whenever your guys get blocked they get +0/+5.

Treefolk Seedling and Dungrove Elder have potential to have some size depending on the amount of forests or creatures. Probably will be just meh.

Verdeloth the Ancient Big dude, makes lil dudes (more Saprolings), pumping both Treefolk and Saprolings.

Weed-Pruner Poplar Assassin Treefolk that taps and give -1/-1 counters!

Wickerbough Elder and Woodfall Primus Autoincludes in all green decks.

Yavimaya Ancients Another big dude.

That's pretty much all the important ones. You can also run changelings like Chameleon Colossus.

Other cool stuff includes

Chorus of the Conclave - Massive body that can boost guys when you play them.

Jareth, Leonine Titan Crazy blocker, big body to begin with and can get protection!

Wall of Nets Big Body that exiles stuff it blocks until it leaves play.

Border Patrol Big guy with vigilance.

Magus of The Tabernacle Another high toughness low power guy that gives each creature an upkeep of 1. Hoses token decks.

Wall of Reverance Awesome wall, gains you a ton of life.

Swooping Talon High toughness low power Bird that has provoke and the ability to lose flying (can pick off small generals!)

Hand of Justice Can destroy creatures if you have enough white creatures to tap as a cost.

Abomination Destroys white or green creatures that block it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-12 10:07 pm 

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Advan ... archFlag=1

Search your colors and creature types.

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-13 8:47 am 

Rhapsody wrote:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Advanced.aspx?SearchFlag=1

Search your colors and creature types.

End of Line

That's not much help, really.

Now to the ideas, a guy that has high toughness for its cc and a kick-ass ability is Ohran Viper.

Birds of Paradise becomes a 1/1 flyer that gives early mana, just as Utopia Tree, the tree is not a flyer but is a 2/2 for 2 and ramps.

Garruk Wildspeaker, I realized he is a must for most EDH decks that use green, ramps, produces chump blockers and has a possible finisher.

The combination of Doran's colors gives you perhaps the best options of removal, both spot as mass removal. From Wrath of God, to Final Judgment, Damnation, Pernicious Deed.

As well as effective ramp, coming from green and white, Land Tax among many, many others.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-13 5:19 pm 

Taking in to consideration the poster before me listed a myriad of great creature with high toughness as well as many tribal ideas I linked gatherer for his/her assistance. Not all of us are as card savvy as others.

I ran with Doran, not literally, for a couple years. I'll admit that it was a very similar list as you would see most Teneb players run. Rock-beat. You are in great colors for both reanimation and mass/targeted removal.

You get:
Mortify
Putrefy
Maelstrom Pulse
Vindicate
StP
PtE
Beast Within
Wrath
Day
Damnation
Hallowed Burial
Krosan Grip
Austere Command
Return to Dust
Rout
Decree of Pain
even cards like Sudden Spoiling, Oblation, and Constant Mists are great in this format try them out for kicks.

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile