Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Aug-23 10:52 am

Post subject: Chisei, Heart of Oceans
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-11 9:00 pm 

Back in the aptly named CommanderCast episode, Giant Shark, in Season 2, the entourage segment encouraged the creation of a deck using Chisei, Heart of Oceans as a general. Chisei saw basically the inverse of Ib Halfheart's blazing path to success; no one built a Chisei deck, no one has (to my knowledge) mailed CommanderCast with one. No one cares about Chisei.

Until now.

Taking the secret tech picks from CommanderCast, I've constructed a Chisei, Heart of Oceans deck that will strike terror, or at least laughter, into the hearts of your friends, enemies, and frenemies.

General
Chisei, Heart of Oceans

Critters
Glen Elendra Archmage
Deep-Sea Kraken — Note: this is just a beater, Chisei cannot make this guy move faster, but he is good in multiplayer.
Inkwell Leviathan
Artisan of Kozilek
Chronozoa
Vesuvan Doppelganger
Dreamscape Artist
Dominating Licid
Trinket Mage
Survivor of the Unseen
Mulldrifter
Ghost-Lit Warder
Serrated Biskelion
Clone
Keiga, the Tide Star
Tidespout Tyrant
Draining Whelk
Solemn Simulacrum
Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar
Willbender

Enchantments
Treachery
Mesmeric Trance
Unstable Mutation
Mystic Remora
Reality Acid
Ancestral Knowledge
Decree of Silence
Essence Flare
Illusionary Terrain

Artifacts
Mana Vault
Mind stone
Wayfarer's Bauble
Oblivion Stone
Sol Ring
Quicksilver Fountain
Brittle Effigy
Worn Powerstone
Sky Diamond
Lightning Greaves
Crystal Shard

Instants
Counterspell
Overwhelming Intellect
Rewind
Complicate
Repeal
Spell Crumple
Opportunity
Careful Consideration
Spin Into Myth
Rebuild
Gather Specimens
Dissipate
Desertion
Wipe Away
Into the Roil
Pongify

Sorceries
Time Spiral
Timetwister
Rite of Replication
Time Warp
Recurring Insight

Lands
30 Island
Remote Isle
Lonely Sandbar
Quicksand
Halls of Mist
Tolaria — No, really.
Halimar Depths
Strip Mine
Reliquary Tower

So, what does this deck do? The trained eye will see a good deal of card draw and cantrips, some light disruption, and some big threats in the form of huge creatures.

The deck tries to do a bunch of different things: Ramp as best blue can, slow the tempo of the game through effects like Halls of Mist, and draw a boat of cards, dig for threats and answers, preferably filtered through Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar, and finally issue threats altogether. Chisei aids in a lot of these; he can maintain Halls of Mist forever, aid in a Reality Acid's removal of any permanent, help Glen Elendra Archmage continue to control the game, and maintain Mystic Remora for card draw forever.

I've avoided including too many cards that use counters, because I thought they might become weak if Chisei wasn't capable of removing the tokens. Chisei is also capable of taking the offensive: with Unstable Mutation, Chisei becomes (and remains, thanks to his upkeep 'cost') a dreaded 7 power general, creating a three turn clock. Chisei can also cause Chronozoas to replicate out of control.

Edit: Since Entourage was mentioned at the start of Episode 13, I thought I'd add a bit more. This list emphasizes beating people up with creatures like Deep-Sea Kraken, Inkwell Leviathan, Artisan of Kozilek, and Keiga. As written, this list digs for mana rocks, beaters and answers. What this list also really lends itself to is combo. I've built my version of this deck with fat beaters because I find them much more satisfying than combo wins, despite the fact it has a much worse win ratio.

Between Ancestral Knowledge, Mesmeric Trance, Tomorrow and the card draw, you can dig for combo pieces instead of mana rocks and beaters. If you remove the beaters and some of the mana rocks and add in Power Artifact, Grim Monolith and Basalt Monolith, and a few outlets for infinite mana, this list can very easily be an efficient combo deck. Or you could dig for Crucible of Worlds and Mana Vortex, or whatever your poison of preference is. The combo potential for blue is well documented, so I wont rehash it out here. Also, Glacial Chasm can be a hard-to-answer defense card that plays into Chisei (and Crucible, because combo players love Crucible).

There you have it: Chisei, nation of one.

Check out my old column, Generally Speaking, at CommanderCast.com
http://www.commandercast.com/category/a ... y-speaking

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Last edited by Sinis on 2011-Aug-22 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Chisei, Heart of Oceans
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-11 10:38 pm 

Depending on how many times a turn cycle you want to use it, you may want to replace mesmeric trance with Cumpulsion. Even with Chisei, you'll have at least one age counter a trance when it comes time to pay, so you break even the first use. Aftaer that, you save some mana, but you still have to commit to using it twice a cycle. If you go with compulsion, you'll also lighten Chisei's load a bit.

You want a Power Conduit for this deck. 'Nough said.

Maybe try Sakashima? It'd be a second Chisei. Or a second whatever you want.

Sinis wrote:
Tolaria — No, really.

Does banding give you trouble?

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-12 6:08 am 

Rollcage wrote:
Depending on how many times a turn cycle you want to use it, you may want to replace mesmeric trance with Cumpulsion. Even with Chisei, you'll have at least one age counter a trance when it comes time to pay, so you break even the first use. Aftaer that, you save some mana, but you still have to commit to using it twice a cycle. If you go with compulsion, you'll also lighten Chisei's load a bit.
Mesmeric Trance is very easy to maintain with Chisei, and can cycle through a ton of cards for very cheap. But for the cumulative upkeep, I'd play it ahead of Compulsion most of the time, so this deck gives Mesmeric the nod. Cycling for one is really fast. You should try it sometime. With Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar, it gets absolutely crazy, where you toss one to look at the top three.
Quote:
You want a Power Conduit for this deck. 'Nough said.
Mmm, that looks good. I'll definitely try to squeeze it in.

Quote:
Maybe try Sakashima? It'd be a second Chisei. Or a second whatever you want.
While the deck uses a fair number of cards that provide tokens to devour, Sakashima, or Paradox Haze would probably not help out. Chisei is there to make a bunch of cards better, but the vast majority of cumulative upkeep cards, or cards that want tokens removed frmo them are turds that no amount of polishing will make good. A more controlled approach, like Clockspinning is getting some consideration.

Quote:
Sinis wrote:
Tolaria — No, really.

Does banding give you trouble?
It's actually just there to increase the non-basic land count for the purposes of the terrifyingly slow Quicksilver Fountain lock.

To be honest, I'm probably going to move this deck in a more combo (ew!) direction, because that's what digging for cards with Tomorrow, Accumulated Knowledge, and Mesmeric Trance are best for, and including more defensive measures, like Glacial Chasm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-12 10:39 am 

Play Dark Depths. Awesome synergy with your general. You may also want to try Cauldron of Souls To give all your guys persist.

Last edited by Wayne Viktorius on 2011-Aug-12 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-12 10:54 am 

I did consider Dark Depths, but Chisei wears away at it slower than you think. Worse than that, someone is almost always willing to Strip Mine, Wasteland or Dust Bowl it away before the last couple of tokens go.

Cauldron of Souls is also on the radar. It isn't in, because it's currently in my Horobi deck (where it's outright devastating).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-13 4:27 am 

Smokestack would be good in this list.

Offline Profile