Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-17 11:40 pm

Post subject: Melek Burn
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-05 7:40 pm 

I haven't gotten a chance to play this multiplayer, but so far it's super fun in the 1v1 games I played.

Kill People Cards
Leering Emblem
Runechanter's Pike
Repercussion
Acidic Soil
Diviner's Wand
Master the Way
Riddle of Lightning
Blast of Genius
Inferno

Cantrips for Value
Disrupt
Interdict
Psychotic Fury
Into the Roil
Izzet Charm
Exclude
Repulse
Sage's Dousing

Cards for Cards
Gitaxian Probe
Thought Scour
Brainstorm
Preordain
Ponder
Serum Visions
Faithless Looting
Omen
Impulse
Peer Through Depths
Frantic Search
Fact or Fiction
Careful Consideration
Steam Augury
Recurring Insight
Treasure Cruise
Dig Through Time

Other Disruption
Hydroblast
Blue Elemental Blast
Red Elemental Blast
Pyroblast
Turn // Burn
Cyclonic Rift
Mizzium Mortars
Polymorphist's Jest
Blasphemous Act

Creatures
Snapcaster Mage
Wee Dragonauts
Spellheart Chimera
Izzet Staticaster
Gelectrode
Trinket Mage
Talrand, Sky Summoner
Keranos, God of Storms

Other Good Stuff
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Wayfarer's Bauble
Expedition Map
Darksteel Ingot
Mystical Tutor
Soothsaying
Rhystic Study
Eyes of the Watcher
Fabricate
Leyline of Anticipation
Temporal Trespass

Lands
Rogue's Passage
Desolate Lighthouse
Reliquary Tower
Halimar Depths
Izzet Guildgate
Temple of Epiphany
Steam Vents
Sulfur Falls
Shivan Reef
+ basics

Missing a Squelch, Temporal Mastery, and Bonfire of the Damned. Telling Time and See Beyond might be better than some of the stuff I have currently. Maybe Desperate Ravings too?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Melek Burn
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-06 5:02 am 

I like these lists. Melek Spells can be so much fun.

Also I like the "burn" route. But, I think you're missing some of the best burn spells:

burn away (gy hate is critical)
volcanic offering (best red spell printed in... IDK, since chaos warp?)
sudden demise (probably the only x-spell worth using)
incite rebellion (one-sided wrath)

Then I think you might also get a lot of mileage out of Jace's Sanctum and (maybe) pyromancer's goggles (except that your deck is like 80% blue, for a burn deck).

I see that you're trying to cast as many spells per turn as you can, with all the cantrips. And this feeds into your spells-per-turn matters equipment and creatures. Although, you obviously don't have a lot of the huge annoyances like seething song and time spiral and epic experiment that really make turns go on near-infinitely. It's a fine line.

How are people in your playgroup with copying extra turn spells?

I guess I sort of question izzet staticaster... is that for some meta-game purpose?

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-06 9:52 am 

You know, I've been thinking about making a list with a similar idea, but using Arjun, the Shifting Flame so I 'wheel' from one burn spell to the next. I haven't figured out a list yet, but didn't know if that appealed to you at all.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-06 4:11 pm 

mmcgeach wrote:
burn away (gy hate is critical)
volcanic offering (best red spell printed in... IDK, since chaos warp?)
sudden demise (probably the only x-spell worth using)
incite rebellion (one-sided wrath)

These do seem pretty good... I shied away from some of the +5 mana spells that got mentioned in the Melek-super thread 'cause I wanted to run super mana efficient, but I guess if I have Melek on the table I'm already covered, so that might be poor reasoning on my part.

mmcgeach wrote:
Then I think you might also get a lot of mileage out of Jace's Sanctum

Is it better than Sapphire Medallion?

mmcgeach wrote:
{is this deck annoying to play against?)

I dunno yet. I usually play very slow controlling decks, so I think my group's probably ok with playing something a little more active. And I think the extra turns'll be ok... I'm probably going to have max of 2 extra turn cards, and I'm not playing the other UR spell copiers.

I may end up culling a lot of the creatures and their buffs for more removal and flashback/recursion cards like Recoup or Mystic Retrieval, in which case I'd probably tag out the time walks.

mmcgeach wrote:
I guess I sort of question izzet staticaster... is that for some meta-game purpose?

It hasn't been relevant yet, but I do play against lots of swarm-y decks, and at some point I'm going to turn a legion of elementals into frogs and fry all of them...

Last edited by Kemev on 2016-Jan-07 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-07 1:14 am 

Kemev wrote:
at some point I'm going to turn a legion of elementals into frogs and fry all of them...

That won't actually work. Izzet Staticaster works off of creature name - Polymorphist's Jest makes all their elementals 1/1 frogs, but it doesn't change their names, so the staticaster couldn't kill them all with one activation.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-07 2:56 am 

izzet staticaster --> maybe electrolyze?

I'd def run jace's sanctum over sapphire medallion. Scry is super awesome in melek, obviously. I also think mystic speculation is pretty hot, for that reason, too. Also even better if you can reduce the cost of the buyback using, say, jace's sanctum. Could run both sapphire and sanctum, too.

Other things you mention: I agree see beyond is pretty strong; I think mystic retrieval is an all-star.

Lotta different ways to go with this, which maybe breakdown along lines of :
1) how much burn you run
2) how many cantrips / cheap card draw you run
3) how many other spell-copy effects you run
4) how many spells that put creatures/tokens into play you run
5) how many additional "instant/sorcery spell matter" support creatures/equipment you run
6) how many storm/mana enablers you run that make turns last forever

I really think there's a bunch of fun things you can do by mixing these elements in different ratios, while kind of limiting option #6 to the minimum that makes the deck still win sometimes.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-07 3:47 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Kemev wrote:
at some point I'm going to turn a legion of elementals into frogs and fry all of them...

That won't actually work. Izzet Staticaster works off of creature name - Polymorphist's Jest makes all their elementals 1/1 frogs, but it doesn't change their names, so the staticaster couldn't kill them all with one activation.

Scouring Sands might work well in it's place. Scry + asymmetrical boardwipe.
Maybe Boiling Earth but I think the scry is way more useful than awaken.
Also potentially Fiery Confluence it gives you options.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-07 6:35 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Kemev wrote:

Sorry, I should've been more specific... I meant the elemental tokens my friend's Omnath deck pukes out.

mmcgeach wrote:
I'd def run jace's sanctum over sapphire medallion. Scry is super awesome in melek, obviously. I also think mystic speculation is pretty hot, for that reason, too. Also even better if you can reduce the cost of the buyback using, say, jace's sanctum. Could run both sapphire and sanctum, too.

Yeah, best answer might be "both."

I haven't figured out what to do with Arjun... he might be a general for a "wtf, how do these cards work?" sphinx-tribal deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-08 3:54 am 

Kemev wrote:
I haven't figured out what to do with Arjun
You and me both, buddy. I managed to figure out how to win with him, I just haven't figured out how to make it fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-16 3:55 pm 

Ok, after playing this for a while, I've decided attacking people is a waste of time (unless its with a billionty drake tokens)... also the delve cards are really good (and work really badly with Runechanter's Pike).

Cards to cut: Leering Emblem, Runechanter's Pike, Diviner's Wand, Psychotic Fury, Wee Dragonauts, Spellheart Chimera, Rogue's Passage, Polymorphist's Jest, Izzet Staticaster

Cards to add: RU creature-land, Squelch, Temporal Mastery, Bonfire of the Damned, See Beyond, Incite Rebellion, Volcanic Offering, Burn Away, +1 more... maybe Thought Vessel?

I also forgot about Recoup... I guess Mystic Retrieval is better?

Is there an instant similar to Mnemonic Nexus that's less mana and/or has more upside?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 1:34 am 

Elixir of Immortality is my preferred method of reloading my library, if that's your intent with Mnemonic Nexus. It fits your existing Trinket Mage package, and it's only one-sided, which for me is a plus because milling is one of my Arjun deck's win-cons, but if you specifically need it to hose everyone's 'yard for reasons, I think Nexus is the best you can do. Though, I'd personally prefer Time Spiral in such cases.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 2:01 am 

I always found Quest for Ancient Secrets as a pretty solid option for the effect. It comes down early, becomes active quickly without making any changes to your gameplay and can target any yard in the event it's needed as a hate card but otherwise can just be blown as needed or in response to a board wipe.

Time Spiral/Time Twister/Day's Undoing are "cheaper" sorcery options with "upside" but there aren't any instants that do the effect for less.

You can also just discard an eldrazi titan to get the yard shuffle effect for "free".

Offline Profile